Fall on our Refuge Photo Contest – Call for Entries
Photo Contest Rules:
- All photos must be taken during fall on or of the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge or Trempealeau National Wildlife Refuge. Photos not meeting this rule will be disqualified.
- The photo contest entry deadline is December 4, 2020.
- Each entry must be the original work of the person submitting and no alterations besides cropping, dodging, burning, spotting, sharpening, contrast, and slight color adjustment will be accepted on entries. Amateur photos only.
- Entries submitted in previous refuge photo contests will not be accepted.
- Photos shall be printed 8” x 10” and matted to 11” x 14” using either a black or a white mat.
- No frames allowed.
- You may enter THREE photos per person for EACH category.
- Completed entry forms must be attached to the back of each photo (download pdf). Each entry must include a title for the photo.
- If entry is a digital photo, provide a 300 dpi digital .jpg file on a CD in addition to the entry photo or email the .jpg file (6 MB or less) to Jennifer_Froehly@fws.gov.
- Do not include name or other identifying information on the front of photos.
- Photos will not be automatically returned but may be picked up at 102 Walnut Street, Suite 205 Winona, MN after judging and exhibitions have ended. Entries need to be collected by March 1, 2021 and winning entries by December 1, 2021.
- Scenic Views of the Refuge
- Wildlife and Plants of the Refuge
- Connecting People with Nature on the Refuge
- Young Nature Photographers (any of the above categories, age 16 and under)
Labeled entries and signed release form must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. December 4, 2020. Click here for photo contest brochure with printable entry form. Entries may be dropped off at the Winona District Office or mailed to:
102 Walnut Street, Suite 205
Winona, MN 55987
Judging and Exhibition:
Entries will be judged before January 29, 2021 based on three criteria:
- capturing the spirit of Refuge
- technical quality
- intrinsic beauty
Winning photos will become part of an exhibit displayed at public events throughout the year. Select entries will be posted on Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge’s and Friends of the Refuge Headwaters’ (FORH) social media pages.
Awards will be given in each category as follows:
- 1st Place: $30.00
- 2nd Place: $20.00
- 3rd Place: $15.00
Release Form for Photos Subjects
Any entry containing people must have a signed Photo Contest Likeness Release form for each subject in the photo.
Use of Photos:
FORH and the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge have the right to publish submitted photographs for educational, informational, and promotional purposes.